Did you know?
If you’re looking to burn calories, lose weight and strengthen and tone major muscle groups, stair climbing provides astounding results. In fact, climbing stairs is widely regarded as one of the most efficient and effective cardio and strength building workouts you can do. If you’re willing to put in the work, it provides the results!
- Burn More Calories Stair climbing engages the body’s largest muscle groups to repeatedly lift your body weight up, step after step. Using your largest muscles to carry your own weight uphill is far superior to exercising on a flat treadmill when it comes to work performed and calories burned.
- Maximize your Cardio Efforts Stair climbing raises your heart rate immediately – 20 minutes of workout time is likely to include 19 minutes with an elevated heart rate, maximizing your cardio benefits.
Strength and Muscle Toning Benefits
- Increase Core Muscle Strength Using the StairMaster requires simple balance but significant strength, more so than other cardio modalities. The simple act of maintaining balance engages core muscles with every step, building strength and endurance of this critically-important muscle group.
- Tone and sculpt your entire lower body Stair climbing engages every major muscle in your lower body as many as 120+ times/minute: glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps and calves. High repetitions are famous for building lean muscle and burning fat which results in toned and sculpted muscles.
- Low Impact The StairMaster makes you work hard without being hard on you. You can achieve high work efforts while moving at very low speeds relative to other workout options, minimizing the toll/stress on the body. For example, climbing at 1mph on the StairMaster is roughly equivalent to running at 6mph on a flat treadmill.
- Better than “Real” Stairs Climbing “real” stairs usually means you get to the top and then have to go back down. Descending stairs is much harder on your knees than climbing up because your muscles and connective tissues are being used as “brakes” to fight the effect of gravity, and you are hitting each step with more impact. With the StairMaster, you get all the benefits of climbing while avoiding the negative elements of descending.
- Make 20 minutes count for 30 Combining so many positive effects (cardio, strengthening, muscle building, toning) in one workout means it takes less time to get the results you are looking for.