Top Fitness Tips: Number 5
Make sure you do some Resistance Training:
It is important that we include resistance training as part of our exercise routine. Getting 2 to 3 strength training sessions per week can lead to great health benefits. It is very important that females also incorporate strength training into their workouts. Some of the health benefits are…
- An Increase in Muscle Mass: As we grow older we naturally begin to lose our muscle mass. However, we can halt and even reverse this by introducing strength training.
- Control your Weight: By introducing strength training and gaining muscle you will boost your metabolism (the way your body converts the food and drink you consume for energy). You’re body will start burning calories more easily and therefore help you to control your weight.
- Bone Strengthening: Strength training increases your bone density, making them stronger and therefore decreasing the risk of fractures. This becomes even more important as we grow older and look to offset osteoporosis.
- Improves Body Mechanics: Strength training can have a positive effect on Balance, Posture and Co-ordination.
- Boosts your energy levels and improves your mood: Strength training will increase your level of endorphins which will increase your energy levels as well as improving your mood.
There are many, many more reasons for introducing strength training. If you are new to strength training make sure to speak to your GP before starting especially if you have any underlying conditions. Speak to a qualified instructor who can set up a personalized program that suits your needs and level. As always our instructors here in Felda would be delighted to help you out.