10 Fitness Tips: (Number 1)
‘Aim to get at least 150 mins of exercise per week’.
Today’s top ‘Fitness Tip’. Regular physical activity is essential for good health – both physically and mentally. The recommended amount is 150 mins of moderate intensity physical activity per week. This can be broke down to something like 5 x 30 mins. This should also include some ‘muscle strengthening’ activities twice a week.
If you are new to exercise start slowly and build up to the 150 mins. For example if you walk for 10 mins at the moment try adding a minute or 2 each week until you are able to do the 30 mins. Here are some simple ideas to help you get more active.
– Go for a walk on your lunch break.
– Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
– Park your car a bit further away and walk the remainder.
– Plant and maintain a garden.
– Go for a walk with a friend instead of going for a coffee.
– Take your dog for a walk.
Benefits of leading a more active lifestyle are numerous including:
– Improved cardiovascular health
– Improved cholesterol and blood pressure levels
– Improved bone strength/ density
– Improved sleep
– Help with weight management
– Improved mental health
– Reduced stress